VA New Jersey Health Care System
VISUAL IMPAIRMENT SERVICES OUTPATIENT REHABILITATION PROGRAM (VISOR)
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Visual Impairment Services Outpatient Rehabilitation (VISOR) provides comprehensive low vision and rehabilitation services to veterans with vision loss in VA New York/New Jersey Veterans Integrated Service Network Continuum of Care. The mission of the VISOR Program is to provide comprehensive Blind Rehabilitation to visually impaired veterans and families to maximize their adjustment to vision loss as well as their quality of life.
VISOR PROGRAM SERVICES
The VISOR program has three components.
- Outpatient Clinic Services are set up in the VA New Jersey Health Care System to identify and treat veterans with low vision. Blind Rehabilitation Specialists and Low Vision Optometrists will assess and help veterans to adjust to their vision conditions. The outpatient clinic services are provided at both Lyons and East Orange Campuses.
- The VISOR Hoptel Program is an intensive 10-day training program for veterans who are able to attend to their personal needs independently without requiring nursing care. Veterans are evaluated and rehabilitated in skill areas including low vision, orientation and mobility, living skills, and manual skills. Computer skills will be offered as appropriate. Veterans will receive adjustment counseling to help cope with vision loss. Private rooms are available for overnight stays during the Hoptel training program. Comfortable facilities for dining, leisure activities and visiting are available. Family members are welcome to stay overnight with the veteran as needed. Meals are provided free to Veterans, while a small fee is charged for guests.
- VISOR Home Services involve rehabilitation follow up at the home of the veteran. Staff will follow-up with veterans at home after the Hoptel Program to ensure that skills have been transferred from the clinical environment to the home environment, and in the community. Veterans who are unable to be transported to the clinic can receive training services in their homes.
The VISOR Program is located in Building 7, on the Lyons Campus. The Program includes clinic offices, an eye examination room, training rooms and the residential component of the VISOR Hoptel Program.
The VISOR Team includes Low Vision Optometry, Low Vision Therapy, Vision Rehabilitation Therapy for living skills, Orientation and Mobility, Computer training and Social Work. The VISOR Team works together with each veteran and family members to determine the needs, goals, and objectives for rehabilitation. You have so honorably served our country, now it is time for the VISOR Team to serve YOU.
- VISOR Handbook
- VISOR Handbook Part 1 (audio file)
- VISOR Handbook Part 2 (audio file)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- VISOR Patient Rights
- VISOR Patient Responsibilities
- Lyons Campus, Building 7
- 908-647-0180 Ext. 4437
Hours of Operation
- Mon-Fri 8:00am-4:30pm