VA New Jersey Health Care System
Veterans Integration To Academic Leadership (VITAL)
Veterans Integration To Academic Leadership is VA’s approach to reaching out to Student Veterans to help facilitate the transition from service member to student and achieve academic success. The VITAL Initiative is a partnership between the VA New Jersey Health Care System and local colleges and universities.
We’re here to help Veterans harness their unique set of strengths, skills and life experiences and translate them into the academic setting. If you are a Veteran enrolled in a college or university and adjusting to the school environment, VITAL can assist you by providing tools and resources in order to achieve your educational goals. VITAL Services Include:For Veterans
• Free tutoring through Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) and Peer Mentoring
• Counseling and ongoing treatment for readjustment, stress, anger, depression, anxiety and sleep problems.
• Refer and work with the university to request academic accommodations.
• Coping strategies for classroom difficulties -- attention, concentration, restlessness.
• Assist with enrollment and care at VA New Jersey Health Care System.
• Obtain help and resources from within the VA and its affiliates including Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) and Vocational Rehabilitation Services.
For Academic Faculty/Staff
• Education for college/university staff about Military & Veteran culture.
• Consult about Veteran-specific issues that impact performance and academic success.
• Work with college/university counseling centers in serving the unique readjustment needs of Veterans.
• Assist with communication between VA New Jersey Health Care System and college/university staff about your concerns, resources and needs.
What to Expect
• Absolute confidentiality.
• Prompt response to phone or email inquiries.
• Navigation and Coordination of VA Health Care and Benefits.
• Veteran-centered perspective keeping the Veteran’s well-being and best interest in mind.
|Anna Rossi, D.O.
Chief of Ambulatory Care, Mental Health & Behavioral Sciences
|Alexander Herzog, LCSW
Transition and Care Management (TCM) Program Manager
- Campus Main Building
- 973-676-1000 Ext. 1421
- 973-676-1000 Ext. 1720
Hours of Operation
- 8:00am - 4:30pm