VA New Jersey Health Care System
What is My HealtheVet?
My HealtheVet is VA’s private and secure web-based Personal Health Record that creates a new, online environment where Veterans, family, and clinicians may come together to optimize Veterans' health care. The implications of My HealtheVet are far-reaching. Clinicians will be able to communicate and collaborate with Veterans much more easily. As Veterans build up their lifelong personal health records, they will be able to choose to share all or part of the information in their account with all their health care providers, inside and outside the VA. This has the potential to dramatically improve the quality of care available to our nation's Veterans.
Secure Messaging (SM) is web-based, encrypted communication between patients and health professionals. For patients, SM through My HealtheVet offers convenient access to healthcare team members for non-urgent issues. For clinical staff, SM provides a personal and efficient way to communicate virtually with patients. Healthcare team members find that online communication tends to be faster than telephone calls, is easily documented in the medical record, and also helps coordinate care. Secure Messaging can substitute for other types of communication and encounters and may improve the quality of in-person visits.
VA Blue ButtonVA
Blue Button feature offers My HealtheVet registrants the ability to download information currently in their My HealtheVet account. This functionality benefits Veterans by improving the quality and accessibility of their health information. By using Blue Button, Veterans can view, print, or download their My HealtheVet personal health information as a PDF or text file. The goal is to get the data into the Veterans hands and allow them to share personal health information with people they trust, such as family members, caregivers, or health care providers.
Patients have a legal right to access their health records, but getting paper copies takes effort. By "opening up" their VA health record through My HealtheVet, VA OpenNotes allows patients to securely learn more about their health and more fully participate in their care. Patients who are more active and involved in their health have better health outcomes and are more satisfied with their health care experience.
VA patients with a My HealtheVet Premium account can view, download or print information in their VA health record through the Blue Button. This includes the problem list (diagnoses), all clinical notes (progress notes), discharge summaries, laboratory results and radiology reports, and more. Clinical notes written January 1, 2013 and later can be accessed 3 (three) days after they are completed. Laboratory test results are available 3 (three) days after they are verified, except Pathology results, which are available 14 (fourteen) days after verification.
Other key features of My HealtheVet
- Pharmacy: VA Prescription refills, VA prescription Refill history, Self-entered medications, Online Prescription Tracking with visual of medication ordered. Email reminders are sent when mailed.
- Appointments: VA and some Community Care appointments are viewable, with the option to schedule Primary Care appointments online. All VA appointments can be cancelled online. Email reminders are sent upon shipment
- Research Health: Healthy Living Centers, Diseases & Conditions Centers, Mental Health screening tools, Medical Libraries: Medline Plus and the Veterans Health Library, which is specifically tailored to address Veteran issues.
- HealtheLiving Assessment (HLA): Get your calculated health age by answering questions about your lifestyle choices, & family and personal health history. It's interactive and fun!
View VA Appointments and local Health Calendar classes, view recent lab work and keep track of vitals, record your Military and Family Health history, keep Food and Activity journals, set a Goal and follow the step to reach it.
My HealtheVet Account Types
- Basic Account: Anyone who registers on My HealtheVet starts with a Basic account, which does not require that you have your identity Authenticated. This account level provides limited access to features in My HealtheVet that you can self-enter, downloading with the Blue Button, plus the Veterans Health library and HealtheLiving Assessment (HLA).
- Advanced Account: This account is only for Veterans and/or VA Patients. It allows you to view some information in your VA and / DoD records. It does not require that you have your identity Authenticated. An Advanced account does allow you to refill VA Prescriptions online. The user should seek to attain a Premium account for ultimate access.
- Premium Account: This account is only for Veterans and /or VA Patients. It gives the highest level of access to My HealtheVet features. To achieve this account, you must have your identity Authenticated through In Person Authentication (IPA) or Online Authentication, and have your profile information linked to your VA/DoD Records. A Premium account allows the user to access key portions of the VA Health record, use the VA Blue Button to view, save and download this information, and use Secure Messaging to communicate online with your VA health care teams, in addition to all other features of My HealtheVet.
Points of ContactMy HealtheVet Points of Contact
E Orange Campus
- 973-676-1000 Ext. 2638
Hours of Operation
- 8:00am - 4:30pm